Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Another weeper

I found yet another weeping form of Picea engelmannii.  It is pretty remote, so I will have to try propagating it in the fall.  I'm going to try doing that instead of the insane snow mobile trips that I've done in the past.



The structure of the trunk of this tree is kind of interesting.  It is forked, and the right fork has quite a curve where it branches away from the left one.  I wonder if this is related to the pendulous habit...  or if it is just from snow damage years ago.

Is it a good sign that my response to this is, "Oh.  Another weeping spruce."?  I don't feel like I should be taking interesting trees like this for granted- but there seems to be an overabundance of weeping forms.  I think that the best course of action is to propagate them all and observe them in cultivation.  It is amazing how much a plant can change when you get it in the garden.

Now I just have to find one that is variegated and weeping...

No comments:

Post a Comment